Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bow down to the LIZARD KING!!!!

Where do I even start with The Doors. Possibly one of my all time favorite rock bands. Easily one of the most enigmatic, charismatic and god like vocalist in Jim Morrison. They say that all the good ones always die young, well that certainly holds good for good ol' Jimbo, who over dosed in his hotel room in Paris while he was partying with his girl friend when he was just 27. And in those 27 years he created magic via The Doors. I was in Los Angeles, the birthplace of the band, and my god they are HUGE even till today. Every store has their T-shirts hanging on their walls, with kids drooling over them even today(PS: I was one of them). A hotel is named after the great Jim Morrison and till today I don't think I have come across any singer that has captured his audience the way Jimbo did. Also known as the "Lizard King", "The American Poet", "Jimbo" he was easily the only reason why The Doors had such a successful stint in 70's Rock. I can't even imagine The Doors without Jimbo in the lead, and the statistics clearly prove it, their last album "An American Prayer" was a flop to say the least.

It all began for them in 1967 with a self titled album. If you hear "Light My Fire" once and still say you don't like the song, then I'm afraid we cannot be friends. The lyrics of all the songs are whacky to say the least, classic Jimbo. The best part about Doors is that none of their songs are long, most of them are 3-4 minute ballads and they have a very poetic feel to them, Jim Morrison was after all the Great American Poet. Its sad that such an iconic singer died at such a young age, but like it says on his tombstone, Morrison was a free spirit and he lived by his own rules. A complete ROCKSTAR. Urban legend says that Morrison is still alive, some say he faked his death to have a quieter life, some say his ghost still roams around LA. Whatever it is, the world is really empty without a singer and rockstar like Jimbo. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that if he were alive till today, he'd still be rocking them Roadhouse Blues and about a million people would still show up to listen to him live at Woodstock. I can't think of a better lead singer than Jim Morrison and you should download the entire discography without a shadow of doubt. Most of the people nowadays have heard of Jimbo, I guess that's the only benefit of dying young - everyone's talking about you. Still for those of you who aren't familiar with some of their classic songs, you should definitely hear "Roadhouse Blues" arguably my favorite song; "Alabama Song", "People Are Strange", "Light My Fire", "L.A Woman", "Five To One", "Hello, I Love You" and so many more. You know what, let me just name the albums in order of preference, that list should be much shorter.

  • 1967 - The Doors
  • 1967 - Strange Ways
  • 1968 - Waiting For The Sun
  • 1969 - The Soft Parade
  • 1970 - Morrison Hotel
  • 1971 - L.A Woman 
  • 1971 - Other Voices
  • 1972 - Full Circle
  • 1979 - An American Prayer
The first three albums are so awesome you should listen to them 4 times over. Still on the whole The Doors is definitely "up there" with the great rock bands of this millennium. I was unlucky not to go to Morrison Hotel where they actually have a memorabilia and rare paintings of a lot of bands including The Doors, there's also a Cafe Morrison in New Delhi, that I've been meaning to check out. Still I have all my life and I will definitely go and visit someday. Till then I these pictures to be happy about. Three Cheers to The Doors, Three Cheers to the Lizard King.

No comments:

Post a Comment