Sunday, July 3, 2011

AMERICA!!!!

Not the country, the band. This blog isn't just about the food, its also about the Classic Rock Music. America is a band I'm sure very very few people would have even heard about; but this group of 3 American's formed the band in the early 70's. Most of their music was folksy, very simple, a lot like CCR. I think the one song that almost everyone would have heard by America without even knowing it would be "Horse With No Name" from the Friends episode in season 7 where Joey's movie gets canceled and he is left waiting in the desert all alone. The song playing in the background is from the band America. Its a beautiful song.

Since space isn't a problem for me, I always download the entire discography of an artist. America however have 15 albums and since they weren't a whole lot popular, acquiring the entire collection could be a tad time consuming but trust me its all worth it. America was breaking all sorts of records with 5 albums in as many years and each and every one of them was a bigger success than the previous ones. I swear to you, of the 50 something songs that are there in these 5 albums - at least 45 of them are brilliant. I am not over exaggerating but America is definitely worth the trouble, they have a good vocalist, soothing lyrics and a very happy feel about their music. Another reason why I did manage to listen to a lot of America recently was the fact that I was in New Jersey. Possibly one of the most boring cities I've ever been to, no apartments, no traffic, no public transport. Just people with huge hatch backs and family cars, zooming around the country side. Row houses built like dominoes, almost identical, there really isn't much to do in this place. Driving around the city is so peaceful and serene that only music like America will work. Even after 2-3 hours of non-stop driving and music, you will still be craving for the roads to never end. All in all its a great band, totally worth the effort of downloading it. I think all 15 albums is a little too much to start with, I think some of America's stand out songs are from their first five albums, namely:

  • 1971 - America
  • 1972 - Homecoming
  • 1973 - Hat Trick
  • 1974 - Holiday
  • 1975 - Hearts    
All the songs from these albums are great, very light and easy to hear. America is one such band, that you can listen to any song of theirs and still have a smile on your face. Still their best songs in my book have to be "Horse With No Name", "I Need You", "Only In Your Heart", "Ventura Highway", "Another Try", "Don't Cross The River" etc etc. Like I said, I can sit here all night and keep on naming their good songs, so why don't I just end this review here. After all I've got a super busy day tomorrow. Keep on following the Flavor of Rock, as we round up New Jersey this weekend and look ahead to Sin City - Las Vegas!!! Adios Amigos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment