Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jukebox Hero!!!!

The blogs are coming thick and fast this June, and I think I'm due another real "Classic Rock" review. Today I give you Foreigner. In my book easily one of the most underrated bands of the golden age, Foreigner first came to the scene in 1977 well after other contemporary bands like The Beatles, CCR, The Doors etc. The first time I heard Foreigner was when I was a die-hard gamer playing GTA Vice City. Now I know its kind of hard to notice a song like "I've Been Waiting For A Girl Like You" when you're in the middle of a mafia based violence game, but something about that song always made me smile. Still nothing came off it until recently when I was forced to listen to their entire discography.

Now I am not a music junkie who can go like 10 straight hours just listening to music, I am however one of those types who listen to their favorite songs OVER and OVER and OVER again. So it was just a matter of time, before i just stumbled upon the album "4". I've sort of been unfortunate enough to have been working late hours and as an accountant, 13 hour shifts on Excel and Microsoft Outlook aren't much fun, so you need to have a pass time activity. That's how I managed to finish Foreigner. The band has split up year's ago with lead vocalist Lou Gramm now an established solo artist. Its kind of sad that a great band like Foreigner lasted only 8 albums. But I think we should savor their impact and contribution to the classic rock world and just enjoy their music. Stand out albums have to be "4", "Agent Provocateur" and "Inside Information". The reason I love Foreigner is because they have insane range in their music. They can give you pure inspirational bliss with songs like "Jukebox Hero" and "I'm Gonna Win" and yet enthrall you with pure poetry in some classic love songs like "I Want To Know What Love Is". Most of their music is light and all about the cheer charisma of Lou Gramm. I think he's the kind of vocalist who can make a good band into a absolute Rock Revelation!!!

Yet again I have to recommend the entire discography. Hell I finished like 8 of their songs whilst i was writing this post. Foreigner is a proper feel good band, here's their discography (in order of preference)

  • 1981 - 4
  • 1987 - Inside Information 
  • 1977 - Foreigner
  • 1984 - Agent Provocateur
  • 1978 - Double Vision
  • 1979 - Head Games
  • 1991 - Unusual Heat
  • 1994 - Mr Moonlight
The last two of their albums were disastrous and I think that was the final nail in the coffin for the band. The band still get together and perform around the world, most recently right here in Bombay at St Andrews Auditorium in Bandra. I was too busy caught up with work and I sort of came to know about it only on the day of the event. I would have given anything just to hear them in concert once, but for now I think I should be happy that they form such an integral part of my i-pod.

PS: In case you were wondering, why would anyone name a band Foreigner, here's a thought, its probably because their vocalist was American and the rest of the group was from England. Well that's just my theory, for now enjoy my favorite Foreigner song, a timeless classic, beautiful lyrics and sheer pain in his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C00ffeNR5zw

No comments:

Post a Comment