Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blogging isn't the Last Resort!

Okay, I wanted to get the Rock section of the "Flavor of Rock" started with a very safe artist that everyone has to love - The Eagles. A lot of people say Hotel California is the greatest song of the band, probably because that's the only song thats made it all the way to India. Its a timeless classic - very difficult to play on the guitar but in my book it doesn't even make it to the top 10 Eagles songs of all time. Seems like a long time ago when they started with one of the all time chart toper's with "Take It Easy" and that was just the beginning. The hits just kept on coming with "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Witchy Woman", "Doolin-Dalton", "Desperado", "Tequila Sunrise" amongst a few. The Eagles optimized 1970's Rock with a Southern, Country touch to most of their songs.

Eagles were one of the few bands that merged proper southern music into mainstream rock, giving them a that "feel good factor" that every one loves. Eagles were probably one of the most successful bands with 5 beautiful albums in the space of a decade. The vocals were shared by Glenn Frey and Don Henley, most of the commercial successes were Frey's. There are a lot of similarities between the Eagles and the Beatles. I know thats a sensitive issue and a lot of people will side with our friends from Abbey Road just for the sheer presence of the late John Lennon but guys, give Eagles a chance. They sum up the very essence of the music from the early 70's or as I would like to call it "The Perfect Decade to have Grown up".

I think to start off one can check out their Greatest Hits album which comprises of 36 lovely songs and I promise you it won't be long before you download the entire discography. Here are all the studio albums ranked in order of preference:
  • 1978 - Hotel California
  • 1972 - Eagles
  • 1973 - Desperado
  • 1974 - On the Border
  • 1975 - One of These Nights
I can't possibly name my favorite Eagles song because when I start listening to them, I run through like 50 songs without even realizing it, but gun to my head if I had to ever chose a true Eagles master piece - well it has to be "The Last Resort" from their best selling album "Hotel California".
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9YkSZ0wKo

No comments:

Post a Comment