Friday, August 26, 2011

The Sultans of Swing!!!

I've always been a fan of Britain, though thats predominantly because my only true love Arsenal is from London, but really the reason why I want so badly to visit this country and possibly spend a few summers there is because of their music. Now we all know that British Rock has really been one of the most amazing things to have ever come out of Britain, lets see we've got The Beatles, Queen, Def Leppard, Yes, Coldplay, Led Zepp, Clash etc. But without a shadow of doubt, the GREATEST ever band to come out of England has to be Dire Straits.

Now I know you Beatles's fans will be very upset and all, but my review about the Beatles won't be out till the end of the year, so hold your horses. But even them die hard Beatles' fans have to appreciate Mark Knopfler's cheer majesty, he is after all the undisputed Sultan of Swing. The Knopfler brothers - Mark and David were the core of this insane band and they are the reason we have had some cult classics like......

No wait first I have to tell about Dire Straits' style of music and what genre they come under. That's a very simple question now, but one that has many many answers - for example a large majority of you public would say Dire Straits are Blues, and I have to agree, songs like "Romeo and Juliet", "So Far Away", "Tunnel of Love" have to be classified under Blues Rock. But what about songs like "Your Latest Trick", thats got JAZZ written all over it. And what of "Money for Nothing" - thats your textbook 80's Rock&Roll. So really Dire Straits is basically a beautiful blend of Jazz, Blues and my personal favorite good ol' Classic Rock. Okay now coming to the songs that you just have to listen to, hmmm let me see, I just claimed Dire Straits were the best band from Britain, so do you really think only the Best of is going to be enough. GET THE ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY. I have never been so sure about anything else ever, this just has to be on your iPod if you're a music lover. Only 6 albums but some phenomenal range, unbelievable vocals, Dire Straits is without a doubt a band for all seasons.

This is their entire discography:
  • 1978 - Dire Straits
  • 1979 - Communique
  • 1980 - Making Movies
  • 1982 - Love Over Gold
  • 1985 - Brother in Arms
  • 1991 - On Every Street
Brothers in Arms is the greatest album without a doubt. It has all my favorite songs in one album, "Brothers in Arms", "Money for Nothing" - a song that you just HAVE to listen to when you are driving a fast car on the sea-link perhaps, "Walk of Life" - a song you should just put on repeat and close your eyes and let Mark Knopfler take your breathe away, "So Far Away" for those long distance love birds and "Your Latest Trick" when you're just sitting at home enjoying a nice evening. Their last album did push Brothers in Arms, with some mad hits like "Calling Elvis", "Heavy Fuel" and "Ticket to Heaven". Hell I would give both these albums a 15 on 10. But thats just me, I am a biased Mark Knopfler fan.But somehow I feel I am forgetting something, the title of this post is Sultans of Swing., why yes how can I not write about the bloody reason I started listening to Dire Straits. Sultans of Swing, I'm sure everybody has heard this song atleast 100 times in their life time, and those lucky people who knew about Mark Knopfler would have got to see him in concert in Bombay in 2005. Possibly my greatest regret in life that I was too busy listening to gay hippy pop and Bollywood music during those years, how I wish the Classic Rock keeda had bitten me earlier.

Well better late than never, atleast I now know the importance of Classic Rock. I've said this far too many times but I will say it again, and again and again - "If it ain't Classic, It ain't ROCK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment