Friday, August 12, 2011

Its More Than a Feeling.....

Yes its time for some BOSTON. I'm certain very very few people would know about this band, and thats why I am enlightening the world about their awesomeness so soon. 5 magical albums by this American band and no prices for guessing, the band hails from Boston, Massachusetts. Classic rock band this was, and they actually hit gold right from their very first album in 1976. They continued to dominate their platinum record selling status by delivering 2 more super hit albums that were probably no.1 in America for months together. Boston was pretty much the first band that really got Progressive Rock to the scene and much of the credit for that has to go to their vocalist Brad Delp. He's the reason why "More Than a Feeling" was such a huge hit, and even till today I can think of very few vocalists who can hit those high notes like he did.

Delp passed away in 2007 and that pretty much should signal the end of this illustritious band, but I hear they are still rocking it like they did in the 80's and they have roped in Tommy DeCarlo as their new vocalist and they are scheduled to come up with another studio album somewhere in the end of 2011. Needless to say I am very excited, as should you and here's why - 5 songs, 5 songs that are so awesome that you wanna hear them for hours together. 5 songs that blow you away each and every time you are driving on the road. "More Than a Feeling", "Peace of Mind", "Amanda", "Stare Out Your Window" and "Corporate America". After hearing these 5 songs if you still don't like Boston,  then well Classic Rock isnt you're type of music. "Peace of Mind" is single handedly their most epic song and easily my personal favorite. Some people might object with some of Boston's music saying that there's a sense of repetition and the songs are pretty much the same versions with different lyrics. I can get that argument, I still haven't figured out the difference between "Amanda" and "Hollyann". Still the important thing is I love both the songs, and I love Boston. Definately going to  recommend the entire discography, needless to say it really, I can't remember the last time I suggested only the Greatest Hits album. They only have 5 albums and there were a lot of gap between the albums because of guys leaving the band, new members, Delp's temporary solo career and then his rejoining with the band. All in all they only came up with 5 good albums, and here they are:

  • 1976 - Boston
  • 1978 - Don't Look Back
  • 1986 - Third Stage
  • 1994 - Walk On
  • 2002 - Corporate America
I strongly recommend the first three albums, thats easily some of Boston's best work. I really hope they achieve greater heights in 2011 and that their upcoming album is a hit. It's really nice to see a band still together and still Rocking!! Today's rock needs to take inspiration from bands like Boston and salute them for their contribution to Classic Rock!!

2 comments:

  1. Just so that you know....
    Boston's debut album Boston is the album holding record for any band selling max no of albums on debut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason albums were so few and far between had nothing to do with members leaving, quite the opposite. Tom is so overly meticulous that many of BOSTON songs were 8 years in the making. You can see his own words: Scholz told Ultimate Classic Rock how he went back to work on "Someone" with vocalist Brad Delp. "He re-sang some lines and I did a lot of rearranging," he said. "I ended up remixing it and it took over the course of [what] I think was eight years to get it to where I finally thought it should have been in the first place and where I was happy with it."
    I'm glad for it though, those long breaks are why we are blessed with Delp & Goudreau, RTZ & BEATLEJUICE! Brad was able to express himself with Goudreau and RTZ, he and Barry co-wrote a vast majority of those fabulous tunes! Brian Maes wrote some great ones as well!

    ReplyDelete