Monday, August 22, 2011

Idli, Dosa, Sambhar, Chutney!!!!!


I realized today that it’s been almost two months since I’ve been blogging away and till today I have not once mentioned about my homeland and the wonderful food you get there. Now my facebook profile might say that Bombay is my homeland, but I did that only because I was too embarrassed to be considered a Tamil boy from Chennai. But really I’ve lived all my life in Bombay and I was only born I Chennai, Tamil Nadu. I’ve spent a lot of my summer vacations there, but that’s mainly because of Saravanaa Bhavan. Now being a tamilian and all, I’m a stark contrast to my people, I for one am NOT a fan of Sambhar, especially the home made kind, the ones at the hotels I don’t mind, but even then I don’t hogg Sambhar like most southies do, probably because I’ve had it so many times that my system is just sick of it. But I tell you the Sambhar at Saravanaa Bhavan is easily the best I’ve had so far.

Saravanaa Bhavan is the text book definition of “Fast food”. They have like a hundred or so outlets in Chennai itself, and they are a pretty famous chain all over Tamil Nadu. They’ve also set up groovy outlets in America, Dubai, UK etc. But for some strange reason they have not opened up shop at Mumbai. I wonder why? Maybe they think Bombay doesn’t have enough no. of south Indians!! Saravanaa Bhavan is a pure vegetarian restaurant, something that’s very popular down south. Now the general misconception maybe that you should only get South Indian food at Saravanaa Bhavan, but that’s where you are wrong; granted the south indian food is the best food there, but the other stuff is worth mentioning. Like my father’s favourite dish – Parotta Kurma. He’s probably been having food at Saravanaa Bhavan for the last 40 odd years, still each time he visits he just HAS to have the Parotta with Kurma. No prizes for guessing really, its just Parotta with Kurma. Now the reason this dish is so awesome is the fact that it is Parotta and not Paratha. The roti is literally shredded in concentric cirlces, yet thick enough to have it with the kurma. Served with raita and some salad, this is one funky dish which you only get in the south. “Hum Bombaywale apni roti ko ek hi piece mein khana pasan karte hain”.

But what if you’re not like my dad and you just want some good south indian food? No worries I have just the thing for you. Start off with either the Rasam Vada or Sambhar Vada or both like I usually do. Its easily the best item on the menu and they serve it so fast that you won’t even have time to wash your hands. After that you should definitely have the Dosa, they have their signature Rava Dosa, Masala Dosa and Sada Dosa; everything else is just a combination of these three along with other fattening items like Cheese, Ghee etc. DO NOT miss the filter coffee after you’re meal, its soo frothy and filtered you would want to have four. But yeah that’s pretty much all that I eat every time I visit Saravanaa Bhavan. The uthappa’s are nice too, but like I said anything they make there is very very good. The prices are ridiculously low (non-AC), and the menu in AC is just a rip off, because everything is literally 3 times the price of what it is downstairs. Still its totally worth it, better than anything I’ve ever had in Chennai. Each time I visit Chennai, be it for a family funeral, or just a random temple visit (parents not me), I just have to stop at Saravanaa Bhavan and hog away. The best part is that almost every street in Chennai has an outlet and since the service is so incredibly fast, you will never find yourself waiting for a table, even though there are only about 500 people eating at Saravanaa Bhavan each night.

But what if you’re a complete jackass who hates South Indian food and wants to experiment? Well I have just the thing for you. Gobi Manchurian Dry. Another one of my father’s favourite dishes, they serve this with like a bunch of toothpicks, so basically you have to poke and eat. It’s a very good way to start your meal. I’m afraid that’s the only Chinese Ive had at Sarvanaa Bhavan but I am sure even the Chinese would be killer. The Paneer dishes are only for the Americans who cannot eat spice, their Paneer Tikka Masala is very very Pheeka. Still all in all this is one helluva restaurant and please for the love of god Mr Saravanaa, open a couple of your restaurants in Bombay. I am positive you will double your profits.  

2 comments:

  1. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you



    Pure Veg Restaurants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete