Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It's not just Blogging, It's about having the "Appetite for ROCK"

Almost a year now since I started this blog, a lot of people told me that I would eventually fizz out or I would run out of places to write about or run out of Artists/Bands to listen to. Well here's the thing, before I started this blog I knew damn sure that this was a sure thing, not just because Music is such a vast unexplored Ocean, but I was doubly sure because of my Appetite for Rock. Now yes, this is all good wordplay for my latest update about Cafe Appetite and another classic rock artist, but people fail to realize that I take this blog pretty seriously. Not only do I listen to these artists before writing about them, I actually go to these restaurants and have atleast another 3-4 people to back me up on the fact that a restaurant is worth blogging about. I have always given due credit to those for when it is due, and today's blog update was possible thanks to a certain eccentric man named RAMBO Sastry.

Now those of you'll who have met him would know that Rambo is the true definition of eccentricity. Be it the random yet hilarious things he says when he's high, or his amazing talent in the football field or even his super strong head that he conveniently uses to head butt when faced with adverse situations - lets face it he's a character, and you can't deny it, every group needs such a character. His family seem the kind who go out a lot and try all kinds of new cuisine and shit, and he being the nice man that he is, he comes and tells us about these places and should they fall under our shoe-string budget, we give it a try. Now one such place was Cafe Appetite. At first he told me there's this new place near J.B Nagar where you get incredible food at dirt cheap prices - that one line was enough to convince all of us hungry guys. Once we reached there we found out that this place has been around since 2010, we just never bothered venturing so far out of Powai for food. Right next to the Gurudwara this place is, not too big, about 4-5 tables in a small room, let me be honest if you're gonna go to this place, go with a gang of 5-6 guys. That way u'd be soo loud that you won't have to worry about the other people sitting so close to you. Yes, its a very small restaurant and you can basically overhear every table's conversation with ease. Still if you were serious about your food and just focus on eating, this place has good prospects. The owner told us that they are famous for their punjabi food and Kebabs. He wasn't wrong about that one, their starters are good (most of them have only 6 pieces). The BBQ Chicken Wings and the Kalmi Kebabs were really nice but what really caught our attention were the groovy "CHEESE CHICKEN CHILLY PARATHA". Now I am fairly certain that Paratha's are a vegetarian dish, predominantly consumed by North Indians - eg: Aloo, Gobi, Mooli etc. I always thought that was pretty much all you can experiment with Parathas, then "Only Parathas" came and changed all of that. But having Chilly Chicken in my paratha was definitely a FIRST even for my friends. Great concept, great Paratha. We only had like 3 plates. So freaking delicious but we were very hungry and we were just getting started.

Rambo told me the Conti food was also pretty good here, and so we decided to try a couple of pastas. Unfortunately for us they didn't have any pizza's which seemed like a steal considering you were getting a 10" pizza was about 250 bucks, but we went for the Penne in Alfredo Sauce and a Fusili in Pesto sauce. I must say I was pleasantly surprised, the Alfredo was magical and the Pesto wasn't so bad either but the best part about our meal undoubtedly was the GARLIC BREAD WITH CHEESE AND MUSHROOM. Easily their best dish on the menu, you should understand how good this dish must have been, considering it is veg and yet I rate it as their best dish. Quantity wise the pasta's were pretty decent, enough for one hungry person (along with the Garlic Bread of course). All in all this place was a total steal considering we ate like kings and only billed about 300 per head. Its nice to occasionally unearth such gems in this city, places that are not about the fancy cutlery or the ambiance - their sole focus is just about Delicious Food. We will definitely be visiting this place in the coming months, if only the traffic at Sakinaka wasn't so pathetic, we'd be going here everyday. All in all, a double thumbs up to Cafe Appetite and their insane Conti Food and Parathas.

Now I didn't wanna get sidetracked by all this awesome food I have been having, with my #MayBuffetMadness and all, so I decided to dedicate the entire months of May and June to BRITISH ROCK. I've always been a fan of the UK - not just because of Arsenal, but because of their awesome contribution to the world of Classic Rock. I mean I've already written about the Beatles, Dire Straits, Coldplay etc so they won't be featuring in the coming months. No doubt they'd walk into my top 5 greatest british bands or will they? I guess we'll find out by the end of June. First up I am going with a rather unconventional choice but an absolute peach of an artist nonetheless - DAVID BOWIE.

David Bowie is English. Yes I wikied to confirm that and as it turns out he's a little older than India (65 Years). This is one such artist that had been lying around in my iTunes library for ages, but I never got around listening to him until recently. I must say David Bowie is a pleasant surprise to the otherwise monotonous sounds that come out of England. One of the first guys to experiment with Glam Rock and his rather innovative approach to making music. He was the first of his kind to try voice modulations and explore the possibility of random unknowns like one of his hit songs, "Is There Life On Mars". Now obviously people thought of him as a cuckoo head who was just plain crazy. But tell me which rocker wasn't? I think Crazy is to Rockers what Beer is to Summer, you can try and be a fag and refrain from it and all, but you know deep down that the colder the beer, the better the summer. Anyways yes so as I was saying, all these rockers are Crazy man, with a capital C and Bowie was no different. Sure he was into some crazy sex shit and all, but you gotta respect the man for his contribution to music. He's not only a renowned vocalist but he's also very skilled with a whole range of instruments ranging from your normal bass guitar to a bloody Saxophone. He's got about 25 studio albums and a whole bunch of Live albums and what not, but lets be honest, David Bowie isn't that good also. I will recommend the Greatest Hits album, a two CD masterpiece with 39 songs and over the last couple of days, they have been top rated and have sprung to the top of my Most Played Songs on my iPod. Admittedly this was because I was due to write about the man, but still I'm thinking he's gonna stick around in my iPod for the foreseeable future of time. The songs most of you would have definitely heard are "Under Pressure", "Changes", "Starman" and "Ziggy Stardust". Undoubtedly they are Bowie's most famous songs but if I were to add some more of my favorites, I'd include "The Man Who Sold The World", "Modern Love", "Scary Monsters(Feat Super Creep)", "Ashes to Ashes", "Space Oddity", "Life on Mars", "Boys Keep Swinging" and "Changes" again because I just love that song way to much. This entire album is really really nice, and a definite thumbs up for David Bowie, sure he won't even come close to likes of the other contemporary artists from England, but he's definitely worth blogging about, and he's definitely worth the occasional listen. 

PS: I know Mother's Day is around the corner, 13th if I'm not wrong, and all I can say to my mother is that I think she's a strange person who has an incredibly big heart and she will always be my favorite gal. Still that being said, I'm 22 years old and she still stalks my Facebook account. Crazy woman. She would not like this blog, I know that for a fact, and so I shall continue to live this rather cool double life. A very Happy Mother's Day Mom!!! Hugs!! (metaphorical, you know I actually don't do those).   

No comments:

Post a Comment