Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cowboys and SOUTH-Indians!!!!

She pats me on my back and asks me, "By the way do you have any Justin Beiber songs on your iPod?" If there's one thing a brother doesn't want to hear from his almost teenage sister, its probably that. The irony is for everyone to see! Here I am listening to Bob Dylan and Floyd etc whilst my own sister listens to hippy gay shit like Beiber. This had to be rectified. Its not easy convincing a 12 year old to not listen to Beiber, but that's the beauty of being the elder child, you get to boss them to no end and eventually they will just have to grind their teeth and do what you say. She will thank me later for this noble act, for the world needs more Classic rock fans, we are a dying breed and any new recruit is a cause for celebration. So last year when she visited I made her listen to ABBA. Not the most macho band, but one must not forget she's a girl, its easier to sell stuff like ABBA to her. So this year as we took our annual family vacation, I was listening to another one of Britain's finest - Bee Gees. Saddened by the news of the demise of Robin Gibb just last week, it was only fair to include them in my blog post this week. The Gibb brothers have forever sealed their cult status with the creme-de la- creme of British Rock gods with some amazing music in the 60's and 70's. Arguably one of the better bands to come out of Great Britain, their songs will forever stay close to my heart, and fittingly so Robin Gipp is "Stayin' Alive" in our hearts through his music and his legacy will never be tarnished. Cancer might have gotten the better of Robin Gibb, but their music shall live on. Forever Stayin' Alive.

In terms of albums they had a whopping 22 studio albums and downloading them all is a painstaking task, I would strongly recommend their Greatest Hits album. Its got everything that you need in an album. Melody, Peppy Beats and even a touch of romance the Bee Gees were really good at what they did. Sure they never had the success of a Beatles or a Led Zepp, but they were good. Really good. All our fathers have danced to "Stayin' Alive" in their youth, hell most of us also have. Great song. "Tragedy", "Jive Talkin'", "How Deep Is Your Love", "Warm Ride", "Too Much Heaven" and "NIGHT FEVER" - my absolute favorite Bee Gees number, these are some of my favorite Bee Gees songs. Hell this is one kickass album, 24 classic songs, straight away into the Top Rated section on your iPod. My sister likes them too (for now), she still favors ABBA, but she'll come around. It made me so happy that she came to my room the other day with her father's pen drive and told me to transfer ABBA and Bee Gees songs, following the family tradition I guess, she's only 12 and I wish her all the best for her musical journey. I hope she reads my blog someday and takes some inspiration from it and who knows the next time she's in town we could listen to some proper music and not lousy pop like Justin Beiber. 

Last time I was fairly critical of her and I even went on to say that I wouldn't want to see her next year. That's an absolute lie. The fact of the matter is that she is the closest thing I have to an real sibling and for that she will always be close to my heart. Sure we have our fights and she scratches every inch of my arm, but its all good fun. She has her moments when she's absolutely adorable (like when she falls asleep on my lap/shoulder) and sometimes its best to not get on her bad side. The entire family went to Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar for a weekend off, ironically we barely had any time to relax. Like every other vacation, we ate too much, slept very little and due to that and the lovely ghats of Mahabaleshwar everyone of the oldies (myself not included) had tummy troubles. We did thoroughly enjoy Mapro Garden, some more than the others, but enjoyed nonetheless. I last went to Mapro Garden about 8 years back, back then Grilled Sandwiches were cheap, Strawberries were fresh and the place was very quiet. 2012 and the scene is not so similar. The prices have shot up, almost as alarming as the petrol hike, the quality has gone down a touch and the sheer no of people might make you squirm. Still if you visit Mahabaleshwar you have to visit Mapro Garden. Very simple concept. Everything Strawberry. Their menu is as simple as it gets, only vegetarian food, 5-6 types of pizza's to chose from and a Veg Cheese Grill Sandwich. They make about five thousand of them on an average weekend and just the sight of soo many slices of bread with veggies will make you hungry. The Grill sandwiches are very good, perfect size, just right for one person. Although the sandwiches are their signature dish, their pizzas and desserts are the most popular items off late. They make an insane pizza, it takes a while but it is well worth the wait. The sizzling brownie and ice creams look very tempting but if you are only going to visit this place once, then the only dessert you should have MUST be the Fresh Strawberries with Ice Cream. 

















What a heavenly preparation this is. The sweetest strawberries, the most delicious strawberry cream, the perfect amount of strawberry syrup and the tastiest ice cream. This is easily the best item on their menu. An absolute must this. You cannot step out of Mapro garden without having their Strawberry with Cream. Their milkshakes are also divine, for those of you who are light eaters, the milk shake would be the way to go. Apart from eating your heart out, you can also shop at Mapro Garden. For cheap too, they have an insane range of syrups, jams, candies etc. We must have billed about 2k, thank the 12 year old for that. In the end the men had to just lift the boxes and pay of course. Well after the meal we had, I wouldn't complain. Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment