Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The First of MA(n)Y.

First things first, belated May Day greetings to one and all. Jai Maharashtra and good riddance to the Gujarati's and the fact that they got their separate state all those years ago. For me personal May has always been a dreaded month, I almost always had exams to deal with during this month and for the first time ever I have a rather clear schedule this coming month. A lot of firsts have happened in just the one day that has passed in this month and I shall tell you about some of them.

The first time Abhinav  "THE NOOB" Rajagopal paid the biggest share of the bill when the bill amount exceeded 1k. The first time everybody's favorite gentle giant, Akshay "Langda Tyagi" Rao was so full that he had to walk around Hiranandani for a good 15 mins. The first time I got to go enjoy a delicious buffet as per my plan without having to change venue, time, date etc. I've always believed Buffet's are the true test of a man's eating capacity, many a man has stumbled in this 3 course extravaganza, but the three of us weren't one of them. My first stop on #MayBuffetMadness (I'd like to think that in a parallel universe somewhere, I am solely responsible for Twitter Trends) was at Spaghetti Kitchen at Powai and after about two and half hours of eating my friends I must say that my faith in the Lunch Buffet system has been re-affirmed. Everybody has their way of judging a Buffet, most people see the Price, some see the quality of cuisine and the restaurant in which they are eating, some people just want to eat every meal of every day king size. Well I on the other hand have always believed in two things - A lunch buffet is only to be enjoyed for its Starters and Desserts. And by this logic Spaghetti Kitchen is easily one of the best buffets I have had. Let's start with easily their best section of the buffet - The Desserts! 

Well a wise man once pointed out that STRESSED would actually read out as DESSERTS when spelt backwards. I don't come across as a guy with a lot of stress but I do enjoy my desserts. Every buffet has atleast 4-5 mouth watering delicacies ranging from tarts, pies, cakes, cheesecakes, mousse all the way to ice cream. Well this place was no different. I shall try and make it precise, Kahlua Coffee Cakes, Peanut Butter Tarts, Tiny lil Orange Cupcakes, Mango Mousse and a coconut glazed Sponge Cake. Yeah that's a good spread isn't? Plus if you wait long enough during your meal they actually replace the 5 items with 5 brand new desserts. So when you dine with a 6 foot something man mountain like Rao who has hawk-eye vision when it comes to food, you can strategically time your dessert eating part of the meal so that you get enjoy not 5 but 10 different desserts. This guy is an absolute foodie in every sense of the word, he actually got a plate of crackers along with his dessert selection just so that he can alternate between the two of them and enjoy each dessert's own taste separately. Now how many people have you met who actually do that? So did we manage to eat all the 10 desserts, well not so much, mostly due to the fact that we were comatose after all the food that we had eaten before the desserts, but more about that later. So the 2nd round was also pretty incredible with Strawberry Mousse, Chocolate Tarts and what not. So all in all, if you do the math, even if you're a super light eater and you can only devour the dessert menu of Spaghetti Kitchen, its still roughly 45 rupees per item if you time it right. That's not all that bad now is it? Those who are still hungry please follow me to the next paragraph. 

Starters. A word of caution for the vegetarians, I am pretty sure the ratio of Veg to Non Veg items on the Spaghetti Kitchen Buffet is 1:3 or something. This did not bode well with Rao. The poor guy was visibly livid about the fact that the waiters were only serving me being the only non-vegetarian on the table and whilst I was enjoying every ounce of the delicious food on my plate, Rao and the Noob had to wait a good 15 mins till they finally found something Veg on the menu. Screw what the Vegetarians had, I'll tell you what all I had. Chicken Nuggets, Fish Sticks (which tasted exactly like the Filet in the Filet-o-fish burger at McDs'), Roasted Chicken Salad, a regular cream of tomato soup, an insane Jalapeno and Corn salad and about 4 slices of Pizza. Our resident NOOB was positively stunned when he found out that they don't only serve Spaghetti in Spaghetti Kitchen, ironically as it turns out the one thing we didn't have on the buffet was Spaghetti. This buffet is famous for their unlimited Pizza's that they serve, fresh out of the oven. They only have two pizzas, a plain Margherita  for the Vegetarians and the same cheese delicacy with one topping for the meat eaters, one topping being Chicken. Haha, its funny how that works out. The crusts of these pizza's aren't that great, but the fact that the waiters keeping roaming around with it just makes you want to gobble them up. They are super light, and super cheesy, the perfect appetizer to get you started for the main course.  Yeah I wasn't lying when I told you I spent 3 hours at Spaghetti Kitchen for lunch, one hour for each course of my delicious meal. All the pasta lovers please do follow me towards the final paragraph of this buffet. 

Like every Italian restaurant, they have a special Pasta Station but I must say I've seen better ones. Only 2 pasta's to choose from, Penne and Fusili, and about 5-6 different vegetables to choose from as part of your pasta. I've always been a fan of red sauce over the Alfredo sauce, but I think this place is definitely one such place where you should try both and make up for yourself. The quantity of one serving of Pasta is just right allowing you to save space for that delightful Dessert section, and for the real eaters like Rao, you can order 2 Pastas, one of each so that you can have the satisfaction of having eaten both the White and Red sauce. The rest of the Main course didn't even interest Rao, so I'm guessing it was nothing special. A special mention to the Lamb in Cinnamon sauce, I thought it was absolutely fantastic, the Spicy Chicken was a tad undercooked, but the ones in the Pasta more than made up for it. 

All in all this was one of the most fulfilling meals I've had this year and I am so glad I finally checked the Spaghetti Kitchen Buffet off my list. An absolute no brainer this, this is easily the best 400 bucks I will ever spend, they do have dinner buffets too, but they will set you back by another couple of hundred rupees. No qualms over spending Rs 400 for a lunch buffet, a word of advice, if you are a light eater, give the Main course a miss but do not ever miss the DESSERTS and the STARTERS. I think they both alone more than make it a good deal. Despite the fact that they got only 1 starter (bruschetta, LOL), even they agreed that this buffet was totally worth every penny they spent. A great way to start May Buffet Madness don't cha think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment