Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Return of The King - AR Rahman and Chris Martin that is!!! :)

I’ve got a delicious second season lined up, with lots of stories to tell. Sit back and enjoy the Flavor of Rock 2.0 (Hungrier – quite literally for some good food)

First of all it’s a personal milestone that I still remember my password to my Blogger id, this must mean I must really like writing. Well I guess I do, a friend of mine once told me that Cowardice was to run away from doing something you really love, well this is me doing what I Love for the time being at least. Anyways enough of the pleasantries, I’m sure everyone is fresh off the Diwali Festivities so I shall not add to your holiday weight and make my return with Music – 2 albums that featured tremendously on my Most Played List on my iPod whilst I have been away:

1.     ROCKSTAR
The whole world is waiting for 11.11.11, hell Aishwarya Rai is actually postponing the miracle of birth just so that it would be on this once-in-a-life-time day, but I for one am super excited about something else. I can’t wait for the movie Rockstar to release. If the movie is even half as good as it’s Music then I shall consider it money well spent. AR Rahman simply blows me away to pieces with this soundtrack, Mohit Chauhan is magical and he seems to have succeeded in making even the annoying Ranbir Kapoor look like a real rockstar, an indian Jim Morrison perhaps, well let’s see about that. This album is easily the best hindi album of 2011, I don’t usually go gaga over Hindi movies and their music (my Bole Chudiyan days are long behind me), but this album is a work of art. It’s such a complete musical master piece, something only a LEGEND like AR Rahman could have delivered. Everyone knows just how good Sadda Haq makes you feel, it’s almost as if you envision yourself on stage in front of a sold out crowd in Wembley rocking a guitar solo, but after a lot of hearing’s I have to say Sadda Haq doesn’t even make it to my Top 5 from this album. I mean don’t get me wrong, brilliant song and all but if you have heard the entire album you will know that songs like Nadaan Parindey, Kun Fayan, Jo Bhi Main, Phir Se Ud Chala and then the ultimate melody of them all – TUM HO are absolute masterpieces; Mohit Chauhan cements his position as Bollywood's undisputed king when it comes to playback singing and he's lent his voice for 9 of the 14 songs in this album. No prizes for guessing that these 9 songs are the best from this album.All in all this is a mind blowing album, I love how it’s got such variety and depth. I read in an interview on TV that the music was really what makes this movie, I mean it is a movie titled Rockstar and the fact that this one album had like 5 different styles of music all wrapped in one, is something AR Rahman is capable of. The Quawali’s of Kun Fayan where he reminds us yet again why he’s not just the best music composer but also a brilliant singer, the gypsy hippie theme of Hawaa Hawaa, the pure ROCK & ROLL image in Sadda Haq, this one’s got it all. Great album, just hope that the movie doesn’t disappoint but I’m guessing it will be worth your money just to go hear Mohit Chauhan sing and Nargis Fakhri take your breath away. Hell it’s only because of her that even the ridiculous TINGA-LINGA song is also a top rated song on my i-Pod. Also DO NOT fast forward those last 2-3 songs thinking they are just background scores, hell even they are bloody awesome. TANGO for TAJ!! 


2.     MYLO XYLOTO
Chris Martin and Coldplay never fail to disappoint do they? The long and awaited 5th album of this super awesome british band finally ended a few weeks ago and almost instantly it has soared to the top of the charts. Another classic Coldplay album, although I for one had ridiculously high expectations and although in terms of numbers, this album is not on par with X&Y and Viva La Vida but still it’s a great album. The thing that I find best about Coldplay is how their main song always has like this 30 second build up, almost like a prelude to what’s in store, and I love how the prelude seamlessly runs into the actual song without you realizing that you’re on the next song. Gotta hand to Chris Martin mate, say what you want about the guy, he’s got such a cool life, a gorgeous wife in Miss Paltrow and did I mention he’s British – so his voice automatically becomes 3 notches cooler than all of us. I downloaded this album on the very day it released and I’ve been going “Para Para Paradise” since then. Lovely song, it’s got Coldplay written all over it. Hurts like Heaven is also an amazing song, like I said the intro to the song is really what makes it. My favourite song has to be Princess of China, Rihanna does a fab job as the Princess of China, love the beat of the song, it’s got a lot of meaning in it. I wouldn’t say this is Coldplay’s best work yet, but its definitely up there. I guess they always had this coming having released their best album first – sorta like Pearl Jam, but like the real PJ fans will tell you, whether its Black or The End, we still idolize Eddie Vedder and I guess that’s the same scenario with Coldplay. No matter what the band goes on to achieve, they are always going to be about Mr Chris Martin. It’s funny how most of us will have to wiki the remaining band members, and that’s another milestone I have achieved with this blog, first blog post written without the help of Wiki. In my defence I couldn’t have picked a bunch of easier albums.

Anyways, enjoy gang and remember “If it ain’t Classic, It aint ROCK”

No comments:

Post a Comment