Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Sion Samosa

As a former student of the S.I.E.S college of Commerce and Economics, I feel absolutely no gratitude whatsoever about the college as such, sure I might have made some of my best friends thanks to those holy walls of the “Temple of Education” but I think what I will remember the most about the shithole that is Sion is undoubtedly GURU KRUPA and the world famous Chole Samosa and Ragda Pattice. Easily the only attraction in Sion and probably the only reason why so many people still join this college, Guru Krupa is the ultimate fast food joint. Perfectly located at a stone’s throw from possibly the most crowded area of Sion, right on the cusps of Jain Society, this restaurant has seen a lot of kids spent the best part of their Economics lecture gobbling away those piping hot samosas. 


First things first, GK as the cool kids like to call this place is famous not just for its Samosa and Ragda Pattice, but also for it's Chaats to Pav Bhaji’s to South Indian specialities, but the funny this is that in the 5 years that I have spent eating at this place I have ordered just ONE item from the menu. So I really can’t say much about how the rest of the food is but the Samosa Chole is devine. Heavenly is the word when you are fighting sleep at 8.30 in the morning looking forward to a long hellish day of work, a GK samosa breakfast is just the kick start that you need. Don’t know what to do to while away those lazy afternoons of FYJC and SYJC when the teachers themselves bunk a few lectures of Commerce and French, then head on over to GK and chill at the rather cool ‘Air Conditioned Section’. I must warn you the prices are fractionally higher in the AC section although the seating sucks, barely room enough for 2 people to squeeze inside. But such is the crowd at GK that at many times you might not get a decent place to even stand and eat, and the coupon system can be rather frustrating because of the tedious queue’s and the lack of any order. Still that can be said about any fast food joint now can it? This isn’t the most family oriented place because it is just way too small, but I do know people who have driven from Bandra and other parts of the city just to eat lunch at Guru Krupa.


This one will always be one of the special eat-out joints of Bombay for me, and no matter how old I grow, I will always remember the wonderful times I’ve spent squished away in the booth at GK gulping down my Samosa while my friend barks out to the waiter, “Arre uncle zyada Kaanda daalo na”. I guess this isn’t the best restaurant in Bombay, hell not by a longshot but you ask any SIES student what their fondest memory of college was for them, well a Guru Krupa Samosa will be the most unanimous response. Oh and did I tell you that a plate of Samosa is still only twenty bucks, seems like the high cost of living and inflation have no impact whatsoever on the pricing strategy at GK and thank god for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment