Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mutton, Maroosh and Mr Absolutely Smashed

There comes a time in every man's life when he has had an obscene amount of whiskey and because of this he cannot walk, talk, text and of course drive back home. This won't matter much if you only went drinking around Raheja Vihar, but if you were a celebrity like Mr Raahil Chopra (no relation to Sheryln the latest playmate), you might need to make other arrangements. Also it doesn't help that you are punjabi and it is in your nature to outdrink everyone on the table. One of the coolest people I know, I have had the good fortunate of studying, eating, drinking and chilling with Mr Liverpool himself. I must say he has inculcated me about a lot of things - be it cheap jerseys at Funky's or Cocktail's at Chili's or the brilliant happy hours scene at Clove and the latest being Dinner at Maroosh.

I've always been a fan of Maroosh. Even in my vegetarian days I would enjoy their Paneer Shawarma. Used to be such a novelty item this Shawarma, had to go all the way across to Parel to have a decent Maroosh Shawarma. Times have changed now, even Powai has a Maroosh and it does brilliant business. 4 people eat dinner at Maroosh atleast four times a week, the four of us being myself, Raahil and Kalluri (wink wink). For many years I thought Maroosh only served Lebanese food like Hummus and Shawarma. So every single time I would go and order the Chicken Shawarma. As good as it is, it can get a tad repetitive so I needed change. Then Raahil told me about their "speciality" items, and do this day I have not enjoyed Tandoori food this much. Apart from the shawarma's they have an amazing set of Rolls. Crazy good gravy wrapped around a Rumali Roti only for about 125 bucks. WIN! All of them are bloody amazing. The Chicken Makhani Roll, The Butter Chicken Roll and the Mutton Seekh roll. Top drawer and I can eat anyone of these over and over again, or well atleast till my wallet allows. The Tandoori chicken is presented very well I must say, 8 pieces along with their infamous cut onions and chutney, this combination is the SHIT as Mr Chopra would say. These are usually our starters, very filling and very economical at the same time. Moving on to the main course, if you are still hungry then the Butter Chicken and the Chicken Lahori are definitely worth having. The good thing about their gravy's are that they are just about right for two people, so after a nice round of starters its very easy to finish two gravy's amongst three people. I love any place that serves rumali roti's simply because Rumali Roti's are the greatest thing that every happened to Tandoori food. But I guess their best dish in my book has to be the MUTTON BHUNA GOSHT. None of us are really huge fans of mutton but this mutton dish is easily one of the better one's I've had. Along with a sexy Dal Maharani (Black Dal) and a piping hot Rumali roti this is the complete bloody meal. The mutton is boneless of course so it makes it all the more delicious, very well cooked and perfect quantity for two people. You literally get a bucket full of dal but it is very nice and that's why we keep ordering it. The best thing about Maroosh is its very simple. Their menu is concise, you have like 25-30 dishes to choose from and all of them are very well made. We have eaten so much food at maroosh and we have never paid more than 300 per head but yes we do get special Raahil Chopra discounts at Maroosh. If you had friends as enterprising and entertaining as Raahil Chopra I'm sure you'd have a got of cool perks and discounts too.

Funny story that, possibly the third continuous night Raahil had come to Maroosh, he struck up a conversation with the waiter Tanvir and voila we had a 10% discount and we became "valued customers" overnight and got free hummus on our next visit. Almost always we grab a rather filling dinner at Maroosh were we eat like dogs and then go to Clove to get absolutely smashed. Eventually its just a few of us at Clove with me and Raahil downing whiskey's only because it's 120 per head, but as much as it costs, drinking at Clove is a rather enjoyable experience. You never have to wait for a table because of Mr. Chopra. You never have to see the menu because it's always the same, "1 + 1 Antiquity with Pepsi aur Ice Bhar Dena", and once you enter Clove with Raahil you are not gonna leave before last call and a STORY.

Be it a mad night with random firangs whom Raahil didn't want to send home, or a very angry young man getting into a serious confrontation with the waiter at the Elbo Room, or a very forgetful punjabi leaving his suitcase at the bar because he was lit up like a christmas tree or all of this in one night. YES. Dinner at Maroosh + Whiskey at Clove is a combination that never fails and I for one will never say no to these random plans. We've had Thursday Night Full Tight, Aaj Friday Hai AAJ hell we've had it all. Off late the excuse has been that I am leaving Bombay to go study and all so lets get "Absolutely Smashed" one last time before you leave. Funny thing is, we have gone out drinking virtually everyday of the week, never gotten Absolutely smashed even once and most importantly have never played Mono-Talli even once since its inception. Well there's still about 2 weeks of Bombay left for me, looking forward to some quality (serious) drinking at Chopra Bunglow along with Mono-talli perhaps or just our usual Maroosh + Clove scene. Either way I'm in. Cheers Bwouys!!!

PS: Basket you still have to buy me McDonald's Breakfast Menu for finishing third in EURO Fantasy Football, the morning after we get Absolutely Smashed I guess.

Another PS: I haven't been listening to a lot of music nowadays with all that's going on, but I promise 2 more fantastic bands and buffets before I leave Maximum City. Adios!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment