Monday, July 30, 2012

Goodbye Bombay.......Hello Electronic City!

The countdown is finally over, 30th July 2012 is finally here. The day I finally move my ass out of my father's house and go out into the "real world". After a rather easy life the fortunate son makes his way to the city of Bengaluru for a college education that nowadays every Tom, Dick and HARRY has on his CV. Yes the ill-fated B-school, in my case its the WeSchool. I'm nervously excited, it is after all my first move away from the city I call home, yet let's be honest there could be a lot worse places that one can go to study in. Quite obviously the greatest challenge will be replacing the role of the mother, I'm gonna have to start learning to do my own laundry and start taking care of EVERYTHING on my own. Big step that, one that I should have done a long time ago, but at 22 years young, its still not too late.

Anyone who has lived in Bombay would know there is no substitute for this city, be it the fact that we can get a proper meal at even 3-4 am, or the fact that the local transport starts functioning at a whopping 4am, or the fact that despite popular opinion, the everyday mumbaikar is possibly one of the nicest persons in the world. I've lived in Bombay for 14 years now, my life is here, my family(at least the one that I really like) is here and most importantly my friends are here. I have been rather fortunate to have such a wonderful group of friends who are each just as important as Food or Music is in my life. So I thought my last post will be a mixture of all these things that make Bombay all the more special to me. People kept hounding me over the last 2 weeks about when exactly I was leaving Bombay and quite frankly I was kinda tired of hearing that clichéd line, "Meet me before you leave". Yes I did want to meet everybody before I left, some more urgently than the others, but at the end of day this change is definitely going to be GOOD for me. Leaving now felt like it was the right thing to do, I'm still energetic enough to embrace the challenges that await me in Bangalore, yet at the same time I know I have a wonderful "HOME" to fall back on back in Bombay. So I am not too depressed or bummed about leaving the city, yes I will miss its awesomeness in more than one way, but overall I am happy I've finally found some sense of direction in my life. Touchwood. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will come back after I complete my course and given a choice I would work only in Bombay, but that's getting too far ahead of ourselves. In terms of food, I will miss the beautiful thing that is the Vada Pav. Pani Puri and Pav Bhaji will never be the same again in Bengaluru. I'd miss eating at Maroosh with my friends, I'd miss all the house parties and epic FIFA tourney's we've had in Raheja Vihar, I'd miss being the only guy in the circle who doesn't smoke, I'd miss sneaking in Masala Bay Biryani into my room and then eating it with my bare hands to destroy all forms of evidence of Chicken in the room and I'd most certainly miss not having to worry about paying rent and having a luxurious life in suburban Mumbai. The fact that I started working before most of my friends let me enjoy a certain perks, the most advantageous of them being the fact that I could always afford these lavish buffets and dinners more often than others. So seasons 1 and 2 have always been about the classy restaurants and the fancy lounges n pubs of this world. Now that will all change.


I will definitely not give up fine dining entirely, but without any source of income and numerous new expenditure to be incurred I am gonna have to start making a few budget cuts. I've always known myself to be a proud man and I could never go back to my father and ask him for money, but the fact that I know that door will always be open is reassuring. So I think now is the perfect time to end Season 2. Its been a roller coaster year, I've had way too much fun in these last 7 months, there is absolutely no way I can top this in the remainder of the year. Spent a good 5k just on buffets over the last three months and I have absolutely no regrets about that. I am not even close to being done with all the places to eat in Bombay, not by a long shot, but I guess I could use with a little bit of a breather. Music wise I am finding it harder to find time just to listen to music, with so much that's been going on, I could use a couple of months just to revisit some of my older favourite bands, at the same time explore into new genre's like Jazz, Psychedelic Rock, Punk Rock etc. All in all the end of season 2 gives me great joy and at the same time it gives me great hope that Season 3 will be even better. I am sure there are even more places to explore in Bangalore, new types of food to be had, new places to travel too, new music to listen to and new blogs to write.

PS: Also I've been stuck on 50 something followers for a while now, I think its high time I spread my fan base a little. So until 2013, Goodbye Bombay and Hello Electronic City. Till then don't forget, "If it ain't Classic, It ain't Rock". Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment