Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day............BARF!!!!

Its that day of the year again, the day you randomly see a lot of people in Red, the Shiv Sena's favorite bribe collection and lathi charge day, yes I'm talking about Valentine's Day. I feel bad for the guys who were actually born on Valentine's day, I mean not only do they have to endure their birthday with all the cheesy, tacky celebrations but also the whole world's buying chocolates and flowers and the poor bugger HAS to do the same despite the fact that its his birthday today. But its 2012 people, couples have evolved from this petty holiday and refrained from such tacky meaningless celebrations, at least most of them have. I mean don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the concept of love and showing that love to your partner with flowers and what not, but why make such a colossal deal out of it.

Now obviously for argument's sake we shall assume that there is a certain lady that I myself am trying to woo, and for the purposes of confidentiality we shall refer to this person as HER or SHE. Now the very fact that I am sitting and blogging/tweeting on the eve of Valentine's Day does say a lot about my current situation. I mean I could be a complete diplomat and come up with a bunch of excuses like, "SHE doesn't live in Bombay which is a real deal-breaker", or "SHE is not looking for what I have to offer" and my personal favorite and the plain and honest truth, however sincere it might be, "SHE is just out of my league" :P Irrespective of that let's assume I were to celebrate tomorrow, with HER I wouldn't to what every other guy does and buy her lame ass flowers and some chocolates, here's what I would do.

Buy HER a CD of Marvin Gaye's greatest hits, okay I'll probably not buy her that because that would be very very hard to get hold of, but nevertheless save the album "Motown's Greatest Hits" on HER iPod. Now I say this for many reasons, and the most important of them being because Marvin Gaye is a black dude who sings very well. Now we all know that them Blackstrat Blues and Buddy Guy are the most romantic and groovy singers in this world, hell its R&B, Blues and Jazz in general, but this Gaye isn't soo far behind, very very soothing vocals and he was quite the hit with the ladies I tell you. Its a shame all these Black Blues' singers die soo young, I guess its due to their lifestyle, nevertheless in the 44 years that Mr Marvin Gaye was alive he did sing some beautiful melodies, exactly the kind of music you would want to listen to hell even waltz to on a romantic date/evening. The first thing you think of when someone says Marvin Gaye would be his hit song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" from that DHL ad, and quite frankly I like that song too, its quite peppy, a bit too fast to actually be considered as an R&B number, but good nonetheless. My personal favorite however is "You Are Everything", simply awesome this song is, and exactly the kind of song that suits well the day. The entire album is a good listen, not like an everyday listen, but once in a while when you are in the romantic mood, smitten and what not, this is exactly the album you should listen to. More cult Gaye hits include "Heard It Through The Grapevine" (the CCR version is only a million times better), "Let's Get It On", "That's The Way Love Is", "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby", "How Sweet It Is", "It Takes Two" etc etc. Looking at some of the names, you clearly get a fair idea about some of this kind of music and just for the record, one can only wonder how many women has Marvin Gaye wooed with his sweet talking attitude and songs like this !!

Now that the gift aspect of the evening is taken care of, where to dine - not to worry, Swami G has that figured out too. This tiny cafe in town a few minutes away from VT Station called "Cafe Universal". Sure Iranian or Parsi food is a really bold choice for date night, but the Cafe in general is a very quite and chilled out place. Its a bit tiny so there's gonna be a lot of waiting time specially tomorrow, but the service is mindbogglingly fast, but you're gonna wanna enjoy a nice long date over at Cafe Universal. Its the perfect for those lazy afternoons when you really no place to hang out, not very expensive this cafe, but its not too fancy either. The food is really the reason why you should go here, one of the many places that serve all kinds of meat in Bombay, now being a Vegetarian Convert myself, us converts generally prefer Chicken to anything else because it takes us a while to transition into being a proper Non-Vegetarian. So obviously the first time I went to America and tried Beef, I hated it and could not eat more than 2-3 bites of it, mainly because they don't know how to cook those Americans and plus its just very thick in general. So obviously when my buddy told me about the Beef Burgers at Universal, I wasn't super excited for obvious reasons. Nevertheless our entourage went to paint the town red, famished and a little worn out from the train ride from Kanjur Marg to VT. But boy was it worth the weight, the Steak Bun or the Beef Burger as we could call it, was easily the best burger I have ever had in my life. Period. Topped with onions, a perfectly sized steak, with chilli sauce and mustard and a little bit of fries, for 175 bucks (plus tax), this is easily the best bargain you can get in Bombay. And trust me its filling, we each had ONE and we were so full, we had to walk back to the other side of town just to feel a bit better. Pure magic that burger was, one of my friends called me the next day and goes, "Dude last night had dreams of that burger man, I want to go again". And he's right, you have to have for yourself to know what I'm talking about. There's more to Cafe Universal than their burgers and beer, I hear that Parsi food is quite the delicacy and I must try more of it someday, you know some of the authentic stuff like Dhanshak and the Patra Ni Macchi. You get all of that and much more at Cafe Universal, and I will definitely try more of it in my forthcoming visits, but if you are going to Cafe Universal and you have room just for ONE item then it has to be their Beef Burger, and if my words don't convince you then this picture should.

Now that everything is sorted I shall get back to my day-to-day activities and give no further importance to this petty day, for whatsoever reasons, and to all the other love birds out there - Happy Valentine's Day......BARF!!! 


1 comment:

  1. DUde U had Enuf and More Fun On Valentines Day Bastard

    ReplyDelete