Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chillin’ at CHILLI’S with some Chilled Beer listening to some Red Hot CHILI Peppers…..


February has been a very good month for me; you know that saying in hindi, “Ek Farishte ne aakar mujhe sankat ke samay mein par maddad kiya”, well that chubby angel was none other than Mr Raahil Chopra for introducing me to the wonderful wasteland that is Chilli’s. Now it was always the common misconception that Chilli’s was one of those super pricey places were simpletons like me just could not afford to go on a weekly basis, well that was true until Mr Chopra enlightened me about their “Happy Hours” scene. Every day from 4-8pm they have the standard One pe One free as part of their happy hours offer, but the best part is this includes not just their draught and regular beer, but also Cocktails, spirits, mocktails, shots etc. Now economists will still argue that they wouldn’t pay top dollar for over priced alcohol even if it is One pe One free, but let me explain it to you in detail. 

Firstly Chilli’s has a rocking bar. I mean the sheer size of it is inviting enough, not to mention the layout of the place. Very well made I must say, with booths, tables and your traditional bar stools. A rather spacious smoking lounge, a whole lot of LCD’s to watch every sporting event that is there to offer and very whacky posters and accessories like the BIG MOUTH Burger’s poster. Trust me, after you see that poster and drink at that very booth, you’re gonna wanna have a meaty Big Mouth burger. The glasses are bigger at Chilli’s. The Beer is colder, better and tastier at Chilli’s. There are booths at Chilli’s, perfect for my gang (Two Guys, A Girl and One Nigga Nigga Nigga). (I am not a racist, as my friends would tell you, I just have a rather strange fascination to African American people, and I call them my Niggas only with Love). Yeah so think about it, 450 bucks for 2 pitchers (8 big glasses) of ice cold beer served in ice cold mugs, with unlimited Tortilla Chips and Salsa sauce, come on you have to be swayed now. If you’re still not, then I can tell you from experience that the crowd in Chilli’s is mostly American and the well off working class, and trust me some of the things I have seen at Chilli’s are beyond my wildest dreams, but that’s really not a selling point for everyone. Can’t say much about the food except for the Tortilla chips so I’m just gonna wing it, I quite like Mexican cuisine, its probably the one type of cuisine where I wouldn’t mind Veg food. I have to say the food is a tad overpriced and seeing that there aren’t any happy hours offer available, it must be one dam good burger if it is worth 400 bucks. I wouldn’t come here just to eat because, there’s just no sense in that at all, the bar is the only reason why you should visit Chilli’s. There are also very liberal about their Happy Hours policy, and the waiters actually go around the tables asking you for the last order before Happy Hours ends, and trust me you can order all the alcohol you want when its Happy Hours and keep drinking till like midnight, as long as you pay your bill they are cool with it. A great bar this, a great place to hang out, make conversation, get drunk and CHILL with you’re friends. I can’t thank Raahil enough for all the wonderful times I’ve had at Chilli’s over the last month and I am sure I will be a regular in the months to follow. Gun to my head, this month the happiest I’ve ever been is between 4pm to 8pm. 
Apart from the pretty chics and cougars at Chilli’s, even the music is very nice; they play a lot of pop and hip-hop, but every once in a while they play good stuff like RHCP. Imagine our surprise when we were all drinking and suddenly we see our black magic woman going “Bobble head” and singing “Give It Away, Give It Away Now…” Yes we actually heard Red Hot Chili Peppers at Chilli’s, fitting really and I knew right then that I shall have to write about Chilli’s and RHCP. Now first things first, if you thought RHCP was spelt Red Hot Chilli Peppers, then you are just a fag and its too late for you now. If you did know the correct spelling, then you would be the first one to agree with me that RHCP is probably one of the greatest ever rock/alternative bands to have graced planet earth. I mean I still don’t get why they are clubbed under Alternative, but that being said, they have been the undisputed kings of that genre for a long time now, sorry Coldplay fans (me being one of them), RHCP is off a different level altogether. Now it wasn’t all hunky dory for this band from Los Angeles, they started off on a rather disastrous fashion with their first two albums was an absolute waste of radio waves, and they were well set on becoming one of those countless bands who tried to make it big, but just fizzed out. The 80’s were not a good time for RHCP, four studio albums and barely a single good song to talk about. The band needed some change, needed some spunk, attitude etc. In short the band needed some Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magik. This was without a doubt the album that really changed things for RHCP, Blood Sugar, Sex, Magik was the band’s first commercial success, paving way to a decade mind numbingly awesome studio albums. Things just kept getting better for RHCP in the 90’s, probably had something to do with the arrival of the aforementioned ‘Black Magic Woman’ into this world, but yes Red Hot Chili Peppers were now a force to be reckoned with. One Hot Minute was just an tiny appetizer compared to their single greatest studio album till date – CALIFORNICATION. This was really when RHCP had hit India, back in the day when walk-mans and disc man’s were cool, I would save up all my pocket money and the first ever cassette I had purchased was RHCP’s Californication album. Quite possibly on of my all-time favourite albums ever, this is one musical master piece. Every single song from this album is perfection, such a vast range and after hearing this, every single person will agree that Red Hot Chili Peppers are most definitely one of the all-time greatest rock bands, definite top ten material in my book. Flea is probably one of the craziest bass guitarist I have known, I can’t even begin to count the number of crazy jaw dropping guitar solo’s he’s had in this very album. Quite frankly Californication reached such great heights that I feared no other RHCP album could live up to that name, kind of like Pearl Jam with Ten, one feared RHCP had peaked too early. But By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are equally good in my opinion, the first side of Stadium Arcadium is just a joy to listen to, and By The Way if you give it a lot of hearings, you will undoubtedly grow to love that album. All in all, an awesome discography and an awesome band, here is their discography in order of awesomeness of course: 
  • 1999 - Californication
  • 1991 - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik
  • 2006 - Stadium Arcadium
  • 2002 - By The Way
  • 1995 - One Hot Minute
  • 2011 - I'm With You
  • 1984 - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • 1985 - Freaky Styley
  • 1987 - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
  • 1989 - Mother's Milk
Now seeing as I have not recommended any songs, I decided to have a little bit of fun, now I cant stress enough that EVERY SINGLE SONG FROM EVERY ALBUM AFTER 1991 – Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik is awesome and all of these songs are in my top rated list, but if I had to be choosy and pick say my top 25 all-time greatest RHCP songs, my list would go something like this:
 
I’m on my way to Chilli’s to have some beers, meeting my Cabron right Under The Bridge, By The Way our ringmaster Gardullah shall also be joining us. At our booth we will talk about the most random things like whether the hot foreign chick will Give It Away to the fat indian guy, or about how Charlie Kelly is the man. In between from time to time my friends will go to smoke on the Otherside, whilst I will wonder about random things like the possibility of a Parallel Universe or the distant hope of having Snow in Bombay. Now I Could Have Lied and totally made up this entire paragraph, but assuming I didn’t I Can’t Stop now can I? Like I have already said, Chilli’s man - This is the Place, the place where we all hang out no matter which day of the week it is. From time to time random people will join us and say more random things, like KK about his adventures in Gondia with his Aeroplane or about how a kid named Raghukul can live the life of a Hank Moody from Californication. And then there’s Rathod the wackiest one of them all, he once broke his leg by stepping on a twig on some Wet Sand. Everyone will always call Mr Parth Adhikari first, and if its not a guy he will always go “Tell Me Babyfirst. You must wonder why I spend so much time outside the house, because I have an overbearing set of parents whose main goal is to Torture Me. Summer is well and truly here as the temperatures go up, every 60 seconds spent outside feels like One Hot Minute. Dani California is one RHCP’s most famous songs from the album Stadium Arcadium, I’m running out of ideas here cause nothing on this earth is in context to Emmit Remmus, Apache Rose Peacock and The Zephyr Song. 

1 comment:

  1. good post and all..but if you're going to use hindi, PLEASE USE IT CORRECTLY! jeez!

    ReplyDelete